Tuesday 22 March 2011

Fáilte

Just thought I'd write a quick introduction!

This blog, Bell Rates Booze, is an ongoing project to rate and review as many beers as possible. I'll also be rating other beverages as well, but mainly it'll be beer.

I have to admit... I've only recently learned to appreciate a good beer, and my 'tasting skills' probably need a bit of sharpening, but that'll hopefully happen over time. That's the main reason I'm compiling this; the more beers I try, the more I'll learn. It's all the name of education!

I'll be rating a mixture of beer types and varieties, from both the 'mainstream' brands and the smaller, or less well-known brweries. Of course, I'll probably go out of my way to sample some rare or obscure beers, just for the sake of variety... and so I can appear to be knowledgeable by name-checking things most people have probably never heard of.

Beverages will be rated on Smell, Colour and Taste, and scored out of 4 on each of these categories. This method will give a total score out of 12. the SCT scores will take several factors into account, depending on the style of beer, but will mainly come down to a wholly subjective 'do I like it?' question.

In addition, reviews will note the location, the serving method and, if appropriate, the occasion. The reason for this twofold: 1. a good beer, poured badly could easily be ruined, and 2. things may seem different due to various psychological factors. As an example of this, I've had Carling from a can, and hated it... I've had a pint in a pub in Newcastle, and hated it... but had a plastic cupful at a Status Quo gig and found it bearable. Clearly, the only explanation is that Status Quo rock so much, they even make fizzy pish like Carling taste semi-decent.

No comments:

Post a Comment